Sunday 6 May 2012

Ramin... not a Japanese noodle...

Japanese sesame ramen.  Yum... recipe here.
... that's Ramen with an "e", at least I think so, and too lazy to google it.... [well, you can see I now have, and got that lovely piccie above, with recipe to boot....]
I'm talking about Ramin with an "i", which is a tropical hardwood, and which I'm using in place of Mahogany, which is totally unavailable in this part of the world.
I made the mistake of doing some research on Ramin and found this reference on Woodbin.com, which said that it's subject to rot.
Oh dear.  
I was sitting at the Yacht Club this arvo, while Jing was out on the water again in the Spring Series, on Dexter (an A40) and feeling a bit glum about this.  After all, I didn't have much choice, wood being like hens' teeth here in Hong Kong.
Then I found another reference in the Chesapeake Light Craft which said:
  "Don't worry much about rot; thoroughly epoxy-coated boats are largely exempt from that terror."
Oh goody!  Cause that's exactly what I thought I'd do: epoxy the mother to an inch of its life.....

No comments:

Post a Comment