Tuesday 17 July 2012

Righting moment

Thought I might do my first bit of boat design: changing the position of the Lead in the centreboard.
See where the lead is supposed to go.  But the further down the weight in a boat, the better, for the greater the righting moment: the pressure to keep the boat upright at various angles of heel.
I did a calculation of what it would mean to shift the lead weight (just 20 lb) a bit further down on the centreboard.
It turns out that if I move the Lead down 6 inches, the righting moment improves by 13%, and if by 7.2 inches, it improves 15%.
On the downside, the further down the centreboard the Lead is, the harder it will be to haul the centreboard out of the water.
Still.... maybe worth going for 6" down for 13% better Righting Moment.
The excel sheet I used is here. ("A" is the designed set up; "B" is my adjustment).

No comments:

Post a Comment