Thursday 5 July 2012

Sheer Clamps on

Port side Sheer Clamp installed.  Note Inner Stem also dry-fitted
Yesterday was fine and hot. Arlene and I were able to do a bit of work.  We laminated the Sheer Clamp.  This is two pieces of Douglas Fir, 3/4" x about 1 1/2 ", laminated together along the line of the sheer (Mutti: that's the line along the top-most plank).  Then they are taken off and put aside till the boat is planked and turned over, when it's glued along the inside of the sheer plank to strengthen it.
We only did one, the Port-side one, because:
1.  It was really, really hot!
2.  I only had enough clamps to do one
3.  It was really, really hot!

It was so hot, I recalled something I overheard a guy say on the bus: "it's like walking in water".  Too right!  For me, it means getting soaked head to toe in my own sweat. Really. After an hour outside, I have to go and have a shower and change clothes, so I can only do so much work outside: it's either rain (as it is now), or too hot!  Actually, I can't remember recent years being as hot.  Must be global warming...

I'm doing this while I wait for the wood for the Transom and Keelson to arrive.  Should do today. It's "Batu", a kind of Asian Mahogany.  It comes from China, so I need to order via Dorfield Timber company in Yuen Long, and wait around 10 days for delivery.

After the Batu arrives, I can make the Transom (or remake, as I made a blank before, but was not happy with it because I had to join it without proper clamps, which I now have). Then the Keelson can go on, and start the planking.  Hoping can get to that next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment